HACKENSACK, N.J. -- People less fortunate in Hackensack will have fuller bellies on Thanksgiving thanks to a donation by the fire department.
Members of Hackensack Fire Department IAFF Local 2081 and 3172 donated 100 turkeys and hundreds of pounds of Thanksgiving dinner fixings to the Center For Food Action in Hackensack on Monday, Nov. 21.
The members assisted with the loading of cars, stocking shelves, and distributing over 200 Thanksgiving Dinners to the citizens of Hackensack and other Bergen County residents.
“It feels great to give back to the community” said Tim Rice local 2081 delegate.
The Center for Food Action , founded in 1976, provides emergency services to northern New Jersey’s poorest and most vulnerable residents. CFA provides food, housing, utility and heating assistance and offers counseling and advocacy services to low-income individuals and families.
CFA is headquartered in Englewood and has sites in Fairview, Hackensack, Mahwah, Ridgefield, Ringwood, and Saddle Brook.
At the request of Bergen Community College, CFA opened a site on BCC’s Paramus campus in 2014 in order to serve low-income students and their families.
Food donation guidelines:
- Canned, jarred and boxed non-perishable items are desirable due to their long shelf life, however, donations of fresh produce are accepted.
- Supermarket gift cards allows purchases of urgently needed food items. Give gifts cards directly to a CFA employee when making a donation.
- High protein items are preferred.
- Cans that are rusted, creased or bloated are not acceptable. We cannot accept opened items.
- Your food donations will primarily be given to the site it is donated to unless it is a large donation that we can share with all eight site locations
- Small donations can be dropped off at a CFA site near you.
- Schedule large donations pick-ups, such as collected item from a food drive, with Irwin Vogelman: firstname.lastname@example.org or 201.321.3142.
- When dropping off a donation, sign the "book of food donations" so that CFA can acknowledge your generosity.
Click here to make a monetary donation.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.