ONLY ON CVP: A career criminal with a record of 18 convictions in three states could be back on the street in two years after being sentenced in Hackensack for eight Bergen County burglaries.
Sean Byrne, 45, is an almost certain risk to return to crime after his release, Presiding Superior Court Judge Liliana DeAvila-Silebi said yesterday.
“You were on parole when these burglaries were committed,” the judge told him. “You have 18 indictable convictions to your name and a bench warrant from Florida. You’ve committed crimes in Florida, Indiana, New Jersey.”
However, under the terms of a plea deal that defense attorney Ilene McFarlane reached with prosecutors, he’s eligible for parole in 2016 on a four-year sentence.
Byrne, of Newark, once served seven years in state prison for robbery and burglary out of Passaic. He was released in October 2011 only to end up back in prison July 2012 for a little more than a month.
His rap sheet shows no fewer than eight indictments in Bergen, Camden, Middlesex, Morris and Passaic counties on charges that include assault, kidnapping and coercion, drugs, robbery, forgery and threats.
Byrne pleaded guilty last month to three burglaries in Maywood and one each in Hackensack, Hasbrouck Heights, Park Ridge, Westwood and Wood-Ridge.
Byrne was arrested for a burglary in Wood-Ridge last October, after which he agreed to give investigators information on a number of crimes in return for a good deal.
Last month, he admitted that he:
- broke into a house on Berthoud Street in Park Ridge on January 2012 and took a candle and some various pieces of jewelry;
- took a laptop, two wireless routers, some cash and credit cards from a Passaic Avenue home and jewelry from a Parkway home in Hasbrouck Heights in that same month;
- burglarized a Fairway home in Maywood in May 2012;
- took various pieces of jewelry and a laptop from a Spring Valley Road home, also in Maywood, in June 2012;
- took a change jar, a printer, a desktop computer and some watches from a Westwood home on Kinderkamack Road five days later;
- stole a watch, a laptop, a desktop computer and some jewelry from an Innis Road home in Wood-Ridge last September;
- broke into a Parkway home in Hackensack three days later and took $700 in cash.
STORY / PHOTOS: Mary K. Miraglia, CLIFFVIEW PILOT Courthouse Reporter
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.