UPDATE: A dozen children and three adults were taken to area hospitals after they were exposed to excessive chlorine levels at the Bergen County YJCC in Washington Township this afternoon, authorities confirmed tonight.
The incident at the Pascack Road center began around 3:15 this afternoon.
Ambulances from Hillsdale, Ridgewood, Tri-Boro, Closter, Hackensack North, and Valley Hospital responded, along with Washington Township police and firefighters and a hazardous materials crews from Bergen County and Paramus, a news release issued by township police tonight said.
Those stricken were taken to Hackensack University Medical Center, HUMC at Pascack Valley in Westwood, The Valley Hospital in Ridgewood and St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Paterson.
“The incident was limited to the pool area of the building and was related to common pool treatment chemicals. The building will remain closed however, subject to inspection by the Township of Washington Health Department,” the release said.
“Police Chief Randy Ciocco would like to point out the hard work and rapid response of all the responding emergency services to this and so many other incidents. Through fluid communication, cooperation and common goals shared between the Township of Washington Police and Fire Department and all the emergency services, emergencies such as this one are quickly tackled through a professional and diligent response.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.