Contact Us
Hackensack Daily Voice serves Hackensack, Maywood, Rochelle Park & South Hackensack
Return to your home site


Hackensack Daily Voice serves Hackensack, Maywood, Rochelle Park & South Hackensack

Nearby Towns

DV Pilot police & fire

Driver dead, 3 in custody after police stop attempted Paramus cellphone store burglary

Photo Credit: Cliffview Pilot File Photo

YOU READ IT HERE FIRST: A Paramus police officer managed to shoot at a fleeing suspect, killing him, after being struck and landing on the hood of the getaway car in an aborted burglary of a Paramus cellphone store on Route 4 this morning, Bergen County Prosecutor John L. Molinelli said.

Miguel Reyes, 20, from Harlem River Drive in Manhattan, hit the gas of a 2015 Kia, striking one of two Paramus police officers who responded to the 4:36 a.m. burglary alarm, in an attempt to flee with three accomplices onto westbound Route 4, Molinelli said this morning.

The officers had noticed the rear door of Jennifer Convertibles pried open, as the burglars attempted to break through a wall into an adjoining vacant property on their way to a T-Mobile store, law  enforcement sources told CLIFFVIEW PILOT .

“An officer then went out to the parking lot and encountered the suspect vehicle, which was occupied by four males,” Molinelli said. “Upon the officer approaching the vehicle, the driver accelerated, striking the officer, causing him to land on the hood of the suspect vehicle.

“As a result of being struck and the suspect vehicle’s continued acceleration, the officer fired his weapon multiple times, striking the driver of the Kia,” the prosecutor said.

Law enforcement sources told CLIFFVIEW PILOT that the officer was banged up but not severely injured.

“The suspect vehicle then traveled westbound onto Route 4 at a high speed,” Molinelli said. “Failing to negotiate the turn, the driver…crashed into the center divider on Route 4.”

A half-dozen shots penetrated the windshield of the four-door sedan within a foot-and-a-half or so of each other.

Reyes got out and ran across Route 4 and was quickly grabbed by responding River Edge police officers, he said.

Reyes was pronounced dead at Hackensack University Medical Center at 5:45 a.m.

Taken into custody were 25-year-old Nico Vega of Summit Avenue in the Bronx and Josue Felix, 21, and Hector Felix, 25, both of E. 143rd Street in Manhattan, Molinelli said.

Josue Felix was being treated for an injury to his index finger, he said. The other two were being processed.

“Charges are pending in this matter and the investigation will continue,” the prosecutor said. “Pursuant to Attorney General Guidelines, the matter is being investigated by the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office Shooting Response Team.

“Upon completion of the investigation, the Prosecutor’s Office will determine whether the matter should be presented to a grand jury,” he said.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Hackensack Daily Voice!

Serves Hackensack, Maywood, Rochelle Park & South Hackensack

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.