YOU SAW IT HERE FIRST: Alarms this morning woke a Closter mother, father and two children whose home was destroyed by an accidental fire that began in the basement.
The father, who inhaled smoke when he opened the basement door, and a firefighter who fell in the house were briefly hospitalized before being released, Closter Police Lt. James B Winters told CLIFFVIEW PILOT . A second firefighter was treated for a small burn at the scene, he said.
“The fire does not seem to be suspicious,” Winters said, adding that investigators were looking at “a malfunctioning small appliance being used in the basement” as the cause.
The two-alarm Roosevelt Street blaze broke out around 8 o’clock and was out within 45 minutes after causing significant damage, the lieutenant said. Firefighters continued dousing hot spots until 11:30 a.m., he said.
Also responding were firefighters from Demarest, Haworth, Norwood and Northvale, as well as EMS units from Closter, Demarest and Norwood and a paramedic unit from Hackensack University Medical Center.
PSE&G responded to shut of the gas and Rockland Electric to disconnect electric service. Harrington Park Fire Department was later dispatched to assist with the overhaul.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.